- $5000 Business Basics Grant closes just 3 hours after opening
- Next time, be ready to apply at launch with all support documents prepared
Within 24hrs of opening, the Queensland Government’s “Business Basic Grants Program” has reached its entire quota of submissions.
The grant opened for application at 9:30 on Monday 31st May. I checked the website at 9pm that night and it had closed, stating that 3000 applications had been submitted. In fact, it would appear that the grant closed at 12:39pm, just 3 hours after opening.
I must admit, this was a particularly attractive grant, offering $5000 with no co-contribution required by the businesses. Courtesy of the Queensland Government, the program aims to support small businesses (e.g. with a turnover of less than $300,000) to invest in:
- Training and coaching
- Website build or upgrades
- Professional business advice
- Strategic marketing services
- Business continuity and succession.
This grant has closed, but there might be others you can apply for. Check the small business grant schedule now.
What’s the moral of the story?
Don’t wait. Be prepared.
There are other grants open right now that have been open for days or weeks. However, from now on, for any grant you want and are eligible for I’d suggest doing nothing else until you have applied (or are ready to apply). In this case, the program guidelines and application process had been posed with enough time for those determined enough to prepare.
Preparing to apply for a grant
Carefully review everything you need to do to apply. Have everything you need ready to go.
As an example, this application required:
- Supplier quotes detailing the services and activities to be funded (ensuring you have read and understand the eligible and non-eligible activities that will be funded)
- A certified statutory declaration verifying your turnover and that you meet the following requirements:
- less than 20 employees
- have an ABN and be registered for GST
- have a Queensland headquarters
- have a turnover of $300,000 or less for the current financial year
- not be insolvent or have owners/directors that are an undischarged bankrupt.
It’s impossible to know how many people would have started to apply:
- without their statutory declaration scanned and ready to upload
- with too many quotes (a max of two were permitted), or
- were applying for illegible activities
…but I bet there were a few.
So now you know – without these documents ready to go (for this grant program at least) you would have missed out. Next time, I’ll be ready. Will you?